Weekend Wears: Autumn Leaves and Polka Dots

pretty light and antler-likefall leaves and polka dotsfall leaves and polka dotsscarf season

Want to hear a story? I'm sure I've mentioned before that I am one of those people to hold onto clothes for years. I'm not a hoarder, I just rarely shop and carefully select my pieces. I've had this polka dot dress since I was 15. Yep, this pretty thing has stuck around with me for almost 8 years. My mom helped me pick it out (and bought it for me) for a school dance/celebration. Around these parts, 7th-9th grade is in Junior High (not middle school) and 10th-12th at High School. At the end of every school year, at South Junior High, an event was put on for the 9th graders who would be moving on to Borah (our High school). This is the dress I wore to that Freshman Farewell. And I must say that I'm pretty proud that at 15 I picked out a dress that would still be a staple in my wardrobe so many years later. It's just one of those classic pieces I never tire of. And it has held up remarkably well considering how often I wear it.

Dress: Very old, but if I remember right it was purchased at Macy's. Tag says Love Tease.
Belt: From a different dress
Cardigan: Target (similar)
Scarf: Forever 21, years ago (similar)
Tights: Target (same, but different colors)
Boots: Modcloth

Do you have any aged pieces in your wardrobe that you still wear regularly?

P.s. My sister took these for me this weekend down by the river in Star. Weren't the leaves so perfectly golden and yellow for us? And isn't my sister so so lovely? The answer is yes.

10 comments :

  1. Cute look! I'm amazed that you had such good taste at 15... I, on the other, was going through a goth-lite phase. I don't think I'd love now the pieces that I loved then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lets see, at 15...I basically wore flared jeans and tee shirts. And at 19 I went through a depression and a goth phase. Not my finest moment, because I was just using black as a way to show how really upset I was, it wasn't part of my personality. I really started to become who I am at 21, and since then have begun to define myself.

    Oh, 15. I was a size 6. I am now a size 14. OH AND I GET INTERNET NEXT MONTH (really. really. I mean it. this time. We ordered the...uermm, black boxy thing that the internet comes through. Modem? Cable modem? thing? and then I am going to sign up with Revolt and exercise my butt, er, fat off. I'd still like to have a butt. I'd look really funny without one. Right now I'm working out 3x a week, for 20 min. It's not cutting it. At all! I mean, I love myself but I want to be healthy and stay in shape! Well, I am a shape. But a different shape. I give up.)

    You are adorable. And so eloquent a writer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this outfit! It has everything I love: cardigans, polka dots, burgundy, and scarves! I hold onto clothes for a long time too. If I love something, I want to wear it over and over and never let it go!
    ~Sara
    Sincerely, Sara

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is such a good look on you! I can't believe you've had that dress since you were 15, I never owned anything that nice at 15! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is awesome. I love having staple clothes. I don't fit into mine anymore but they are great.


    Thanks for linking up with Seasonal Series Link Up and hosting the button. Please feel free to add more posts and don't forget the WINTER Seasonal Series is coming up. =]

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. I would LOVE to see goth Carolynn

    2. We all had phases. This is the only thing that was worth keeping from 15 year old Emorie. The disgusting plaid, the weird colored denim, the questionable bright colored footwear, the embarassing band tees, all didn't make it.
    3. INTERNETS! So exciting.
    4. I'm going to email you about Revolt. :)
    5. ... and thank you for the compliments, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  7. CuddlyCactiOctober 22, 2013

    you look beautiful! i love all your layers here, how they're fun and colorful but kind of "go together" still and create a cohesive look, not that looking cohesive is super important for me or anything but ah... i dont know what i'm saying, you look great though. nice job 15 your old Emorie! and impressive it still fits. i have a similar scarf i may be posting in next week too, but w/ a scarf it was too hot for any layers here. the fall leaves are gorgeous too. and has your sister ever appeared here? I always love seeing if siblings look alike.
    Cuddly Cacti
    Mitla Moda

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is a picture of me with all my siblings at the bottom of this old post. My sister, Brianna, who took the pictures is all the way on the left :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the colours of your outfit and the background! I also have a skirt that I've had for years. Similarly to your dress, it is black and white but with a floral pattern. I wonder if some items are more likely to stay for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hurrah for you! It seems like it has held up quite well. I finally went through my closet and found items that were finally worn through from high school still (far more embarassig as that is a decade old). Despite the clean-out, I think it is important to have at least some clothing that is of such quality as to last you a long while and of a style that will last too. This polka dot dress definitely stands the test of time. What a cute fall outfit.

    ReplyDelete