Homemade Magic Shell 3 Ways



You can certainly tell that everyone around here is really enjoying this warm, spring weather. It must be written somewhere that the way to celebrate this changing season is to grill. Patios are getting their fair use, that's for sure. And I've smelt various forms of barbecue every night for days. For good reason to; the weather has been so kind to us. I had my windows open all day yesterday! I even got a little too warm just sitting a my desk in the afternoon, because it is back in a corner under a skylight. The high today is suppose to be 78 degrees! How did this happen?

Now, I enjoy a good old fashion barbecue (maybe just fish and veggie burgers, though) — don't get me wrong — I just choose to celebrate the settling of spring a little differently. With ice cream, of course! You can find me out on the patio every afternoon lately enjoying an affogato or some frozen greek yogurt. I do love ice cream season, but I sure hope spring drags out long this year; I'm certainly not looking forward to the summer heat. But, ice cream, you'll pull me through.

As I'll likely be eating this sweet treat daily for the next several months (you think I'm exaggerating, but I'm not) I like to have variety with ice cream or frozen yogurt. An obvious and simple way to get some variety with this dessert, when you've got a whole tub of the same flavor to enjoy, is to add different toppings and flavor combinations. I've always been a huge fan of shell toppings, probably because it nostalgically reminds me of getting dipped cones at DQ as a kid. Well, making a magic shell topping at home is a lot easier than you'd think! All you need is your topping choice and some coconut oil. You can even mix up a whole jar of topping and keep it in your pantry. But, I switch up what I want to top my ice cream with so often that I just make a bit every time I have a bowl.

See a few of my favorite magic shell creations/combinations below!



COCOA AND CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE | yield: one serving

Ingredients                                                         

+ a scoop of ice cream or frozen yogurt (I used Umpqua's Greek Blueberry)
+ a chocolate chip cookie (optional)
+ 2 tablespoons semi sweet chocolate chips or cocoa nibs
+ 1 teaspoon coconut oil
+ a pinch of cinnamon

Method                                                              

In a microwave safe bowl, place the measured chocolate chips, coconut oil, and cinnamon. Microwave on high for 45 seconds, or until chocolate chips are completely melted. With a spoon, stir the melted mixture to thoroughly combine the oil with the other ingredients. Scoop out the ice cream into a bowl and spoon the magic shell topping over the top. Serve with a chocolate chip cookie.



VANILLA AND BLUEBERRIES | yield: one serving

Ingredients                                                         

+ a scoop of ice cream or frozen yogurt (I used Umpqua's Greek Blueberry)
+ a few frozen blueberries
+ 2 tablespoons vanilla chips
+ 1 teaspoon coconut oil

Method                                                              

This one is my absolute favorite! In a microwave safe bowl, place the measured vanilla chips, and coconut oil. Microwave on high for 30 seconds, or until vanilla chips are completely melted. With a spoon, stir the melted mixture to thoroughly combine the oil with the other ingredients. Scoop out the ice cream into a bowl and spoon the magic shell topping over the top. Serve with frozen blueberries.



CHOCOLATE & PEANUT BUTTER WITH FROZEN BANANA | yield: one serving

Ingredients                                                         

+ a scoop of ice cream or frozen yogurt (I used Umpqua's Chocolate Frozen Yogurt)
+ a few frozen banana slices (optional, slice before freezing)
+ 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
+ 1 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
+ 1 teaspoon coconut oil

Method                                                              

In a microwave safe bowl, place the measured chocolate chips, peanut butter, and coconut oil. Microwave on high for 45 seconds, or until chocolate chips are completely melted. With a spoon, stir the melted mixture to thoroughly combine the oil with the peanut butter and chocolate chips. Scoop out the ice cream into a bowl and spoon the magic shell topping over the top. Serve with frozen banana slices.

Yum. ALL HAIL ICE CREAM SEASON.
xx Emorie

6 comments :

  1. Oh totally picking up some frozen yogurt next time I hit the store!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seriously just made my life...this was one of my favorite things as a kid!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually never tried frozen yogurt before, but now you're making me want to run to the grocery store as I type! These are great recipes and they've came just in time. :) xx


    riamuses.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't know this was a thing! Awesome, can't wait to try. Thanks for enlightening me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. somecallmecjApril 09, 2014

    Oh. My. Goodness. I am making this ASAP! And its healthy without all of those chemicals the store bought brands have?! What?!?!?! My birthday is on Friday and this is what I will be doing. Done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally get rid of fat by eating coconut fats (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from big medicinal journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete