A Valley Like This



A VALLEY LIKE THIS

Sometimes you look at an empty valley like this,
and suddenly the air is filled with snow.
That is the way the whole world happened—
there was nothing, and then…

But maybe some time you will look out and even
the mountains are gone, the world become nothing
again. What can a person do to help
bring back the world?

We have to watch it and then look at each other.
Together we hold it close and carefully
save it, like a bubble that can disappear
if we don’t watch out.

Please think about this as you go on. Breath on the world.
Hold out your hands to it. When mornings and evenings
roll along, watch how they open and close, how they
invite you to the long party that your life is.

- William Stafford

We had a lovely little escape this weekend on a beautiful trail with views of the valley. I've surely been seeing this city with a new set of eyes lately. I wasn't born here, but as long as I can remember I've called Boise home. This was were I grew up and all I knew. When I graduated high school, I couldn't wait to get away from this place. I was ready to establish myself anywhere but here and see as much of the world as I could. Coming back, honestly (at first), felt like failure. I held on to that negative energy for a while, too.

But the longer I stay here, the more I fall in love with this city and this valley all over again. As I winded through this beautiful trail Saturday, I couldn't help but have a few moments of shock that I've always been able to live somewhere this beautiful. The fact that you have views of two mountain ranges from everywhere in this city is pretty remarkable. Adventure is available everywhere. And the local community is rather incomparable. I think experiencing the city again, with Will (who grew up elsewhere) has shined a new light on everything. I love showing off all the gems here and discovering new places; it's pretty crazy that there are still new places for me here (I have a hard time believing it sometimes).

This is my favorite time of year in these hills. The green doesn't last very long, so I like to soak it in as much as possible while it's here. Granted, the yellows and browns are beautiful as well, but I prefer the weather this time of year, too (over the heat, yes please). Sadly, sometimes I forget how alive I feel in these hills. We can't ever take this valley for granted.

As much I still want to travel and maybe live up north again, I sure don't mind calling this my home base. Something about this place will always be home to me. And, Boise, I'm falling in love with you all over again.

xx Emorie

4 comments :

  1. I know what you mean. I went to college in my home town and after graduating couldn't wait to get away. but then three years later I came home, and now I live here, and I love it. I think when growing up I only saw the places my mom took me, and it wasn't my freedom that explored the city. Since coming back I've found little nooks and places that call to me here and I couldn't be happier. I only wish I could ride by bike everywhere, like the town I used to live in after college. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. TammyESudduthApril 28, 2014

    The green doesn't last very long, so I like to soak it in as much as possible while it's here. Granted, the yellows and browns are beautiful as well, but I prefer the weather this time of year, too (over the heat, yes please). Sadly, sometimes I forget how alive I feel in these hills. We can't ever take this valley for granted. http://sn.im/28ux95m

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your pictures! Your dog is adorable, btw. My husband was looking at pictures of Boise the other day and was talking about how cool it looks. I've never been before and never known much about it but after seeing these pictures and hearing him it makes me want to check it out some time! Both me and my husband have family in Colorado and we looove the mountains.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete